FRANCE: Wahaha hits Danone HY results
Danone has posted a slip in group net profit for the first six months of 2007.
The French food and drink company said yesterday (30 July) that net profit for the period was down by 7% to EUR656m (US$896m), while sales were up 9.2% to EUR6.5bn.
For the first half of this year, the company's beverages unit saw sales slow somewhat, primarily due to the ongoing dispute in China at Wahaha. Beverage sales for the six-month period were up by 4.7% to EUR2.14bn. Excluding the results of Wahaha, where sales dropped by 6% in H1, beverage activity grew by nearly 10%. Europe grew in mid single-digits, with balanced growth rates in most geographies. Latin America grew at over 20% supported by strong growth of flavored waters in Argentina.
In the results statement, Danone said it was continuing discussions with its partner in Wahaha, Hangzhou Wahaha. "Their outcome and their impact on the group's future financial statements cannot be precisely evaluated," the company noted. Danone has accused Wahaha of illegally selling products identical to those sold by the companies' joint ventures in China. Danone has filed a suit in Los Angeles seeking more than US$100m in compensation for the alleged illegal sales and has also filed for arbitration in Stockholm to help resolve the dispute. Hangzhou Wahaha, meanwhile, has countersued Danone, claiming the French company is complicit in also competing with the joint ventures.
A group of 11 major food and drinks companies have launched a new self-regulatory initiative in Europe under which they will voluntary make changes to how and what they advertise directly to children....
Volvic has joined with the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) for the launch of a drink campaign that will bring clean water to rural parts of Africa....
Groupe Danone and its Chinese venture partner, Hangzhou Wahaha, have called a truce on their long-running feud,...
UK tap water has come up near the top in a blind taste test, according to local reports....
Groupe Danone has dismissed a lawsuit from the trade union of its joint venture in China as "totally groundless", and has called for calm in the long-running saga....
Groupe Danone has said it is "highly concerned" about the latest reports regarding the ongoing clash with its partner in China....
The Coca-Cola Co. has successfully appealed against a court ruling in Argentina that said a campaign by Danone had not affected sales of Coca-Cola's Dasani water brand in the country....
Hangzhou Wahaha Group Co. has won a legal ruling over its dispute with Chinese joint-venture partner Groupe Danone regarding the ownership of the Wahaha brand in the country....
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014