CHINA: Wahaha countersues Danone as row goes on
Wahaha said today (26 June) that it would sue its French partner for up to EUR5bn (US$6.73bn) for what it termed "illegal activities".
"We will countersue Danone, asking for EUR2bn to EUR5bn in damages," the company. "We have reliable evidence of their violations and will pursue their illegal activities according to the law."
Earlier this month, Danone filed a complaint in the US against Ever Maple Trading and Hangzhou Hongsheng Beverage Co. Wahaha is a subsidiary of Hangzhou Hongsheng, itself controlled by British Virgin Islands-based Ever Maple Trading.
"Hangzhou Wahaha Food and Beverage Sales is illegally selling products which are the same as those sold by Wahaha Joint Ventures and is making unlawful use of the joint ventures' distributors and suppliers," Danone said at the time. The company added that it hopes to "put a stop to the defendants' collective scheme to wrongfully interfere with its customer relationships and business prospects".
A group of 11 major food and drinks companies have launched a new self-regulatory initiative in Europe under which they will voluntary make changes to how and what they advertise directly to children....
UK tap water has come up near the top in a blind taste test, according to local reports....
Groupe Danone has dismissed a lawsuit from the trade union of its joint venture in China as "totally groundless", and has called for calm in the long-running saga....
Groupe Danone has said it is "highly concerned" about the latest reports regarding the ongoing clash with its partner in China....
The Coca-Cola Co. has successfully appealed against a court ruling in Argentina that said a campaign by Danone had not affected sales of Coca-Cola's Dasani water brand in the country....
Hangzhou Wahaha Group Co. has won a legal ruling over its dispute with Chinese joint-venture partner Groupe Danone regarding the ownership of the Wahaha brand in the country....
Asia Pacific Breweries has appointed the previous chairman of Danone Asia Pacific as chairman-designate and a non-executive director of the company....
Danone has received the backing of the president of France, while embroiled in its current legal battle with China's Wahaha, according to reports....
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits