UK: W Europe energy drinks boom to continue
Energy drinks sales in Western Europe are set to soar by 12% this year, according to industry analysts Zenith International.
The UK-based consultancy has forecast that 428m litres of energy drinks will be sold in the region this year. Such a jump would follow last year's 15% leap in volumes, which took the value of the energy drinks category in Western Europe to EUR3bn (US$3.88bn).
"Strong marketing, wider distribution, the challenge of newer brands and increasing consumer acceptance have been key contributors to recent growth," said Zenith Research director Gary Roethenbaugh today (23 November).
"Although Red Bull's supremacy remains, it has witnessed some erosion of market share. Various other brands and supermarket own labels have now been available long enough to have carved out their own niche and secure their presence," he added.
Red Bull commands over 60% of the energy drinks sales in Western Europe. The three largest markets in the region are the UK, Germany and Spain. Last year, sales in France, Norway, Finland and Ireland jumped 20%.
According to Zenith's findings, Austrian consumers had the strongest thirst for energy drinks, with per capita consumption standing at 4.5 litres last year.
Japan has led the way in functional drinks and as market maturity and demographics have slowed sales, manufacturers have continued to innovate imaginatively. Jeanette Bengtsson, soft drinks manager at...
Among the six GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) countries, Saudi Arabia is by far the largest soft drinks market, but the UAE and Qatar are forecast to show the most rapid growth over the coming five yea...
Who's Your Daddy has recruited a new senior vice president and CFO to the company....
BooKoo Beverages has signed a distribution agreement with Coca-Cola Consolidated to sell its energy drinks portfolio in the US....
Who's Your Daddy has added a new member to its board of directors....
The functional soft drinks market in Western Europe has seen slight growth in the last five years, according to a recent report....
Red Bull has lined up an addition to its Sabai wine spritzer portfolio in the UK....
A milk beer, a caffeine-infused vodka and water with flower essences are some of the new drinks products launched this month....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review