SWEDEN: V&S loses Golden Gate trademark battle
Vin & Sprit has lost its battle against The Wine Group subsidiary Golden State Vintners over the use of the Golden Gate trademark in Sweden.
The Svea Court of Appeal in Stockholm, Sweden yesterday (26 September), sided with GSV and ordered the cancellation of V&S' registration of the Golden Gate trademark as well as awarding damages to GSV for breach of contract.
The Court of Appeal said that V&S infringed GSV's trademark rights by falsely claiming that it had secured permission to use the mark as well as breaching a license agreement by registering and selling wine under the trademark without permission.
TWG-Europe managing director Ulrike Backhaus-Mueller said: "The courts have affirmed our belief that V&S has sold counterfeit goods under the once revered Golden Gate brand name in Sweden. V&S has now so tarnished the reputation and image of the Golden Gate brand that the damages are approaching SEK235m (US$36.2m), which was the enterprise value of the brand in Sweden based on its 2005 retail sales."
TWG CEO David Kent added: "We have been fighting a rash of counterfeits of our leading brand, Franzia, in China for the past two years, but I never imagined we would be fighting this battle in Sweden. We are pleased that the court system in Sweden has carefully considered V&S' actions and has once again affirmed our rights."
Diageo has hailed the repositioning of J&B for improving the Scotch whisky brand's performance....
Foster's and Lion Nathan have both announced plans to cease production of RTDs with a high alcohol content and energy additives from their portfolios....
InBev has nominated an additional director to its board....
Asia Pacific Breweries Singapore has acquired Tiger Canada Inc....
The deadline for the second round of bids for Vin & Sprit (V&S) has been set....
Carlsberg has said it is "very happy" with the conditions set by the Russian competition commission (FAS) regarding its plans to acquire complete control of the country's brewer Baltika....
United Spirits Limited (USL), the world's third-largest spirits company has launched the first-of-its-kind retail outlet for liquor Spiritz & More in Bangalore, India....
Italian wines and spirits group Campari is considering a capital increase to fund a major acquisition, and feels the privatisation of V&S Group could provide it with possible acquisition targets, acco...
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- What's in store for Super Bowl 5 - Focus
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Moet Hennessy sees China rebound in strong FY
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research