SWEDEN: V&S embroiled in Systembolaget scandal
V&S Group has seen nine present and former employees charged with bribery in the latest episode in the Systembolaget bribery scandal, according to reports in Sweden.
The charges reportedly involve bribes worth SEK640,000 (US$89,000) that were allegedly fraudently hidden in company accounts, the state prosecutor said.
The charges are the latest to be brought in the scandal surrounding Sweden's state-run alcohol monopoly.
In February, a group of former Systembolaget store managers were handed fines. Late last year, 18 store managers and two employees at wine distributor Vin-Tradgardh were fined between SEK1,500 and SEK51,000 in the first round of trials concerning the bribes.
Systembolaget employees are forbidden to promote one brand over another in exchange for perks.
Company officials could not be reached for comment as just-drinks went to press. However, when contacted by just-drinks today, a spokesperson for V&S said: "We think that it is very good that the legal process has begun and we can find out where the limits are on sampling.
"This has been going on for three years, and it is quite heavy for the people involved," the spokesperson added.
Troubles are mounting for the bankrupt Pittsburgh Brewing Co., with a financing plan facing opposition from a number of creditors....
The Charmer Sunbelt Group is running a public service announcement aimed at the Hispanic community in the north-east of the US....
Anheuser-Busch has rolled out a wheat- and gluten-free beer in the US....
European Union officials are in New Delhi today (20 December) in an attempt to broker a deal with the Indian government over the country's tariff regime....
Kirin Brewery Co. is aiming to boost operating profit by at least 28% in the next three years by focusing on growth in its overseas operations, non-beer alcohol and soft drink businesses....
South African drinks group Distell has secured a key wine deal with Scandinavian distributor Altia Corporation....
Pernod Ricard has signalled its commitment to promoting responsible drinking with plans to put warnings to pregnant women on all its wine and spirit brands throughout the EU....
California's Board of Equalization (BOE) has voted to conduct a review of how alcopops are classified and taxed in the state following concerns over underage drinking from high school seniors....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Why has Heineken made a Formula 1 U-turn?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends