SWEDEN: V&S denies Allied is favoured Seagram winner
Sweden's Vin & Sprit (V&S) has denied claims it would prefer Allied Domecq over Diageo/Pernod Ricard to win the prospective bidding war for Seagram's Spirits and Wine division.According to the UK newspaper Sunday Business, V&S, which owns Absolut vodka but has granted distribution rights to Seagram outside Scandinavia worth £2.2 billion, would favour Allied because it fears Diageo's ownership of the Smirnoff vodka brand could mean a "drawn-out investigation by regulators". A spokeswoman for V&S told just-drinks.com: "This is purely speculation on behalf of the press. We would not like to comment."Sweden's financial daily newspaper, Dagens Industri, however, quoted V&S finance director Rolf Cassergren as saying: "We are a piece on the board since we have a large involvement with Seagram. But there are lots of factors in who eventually wins the business."Absolut accounts for 10% of the $665.5m profit generated by Seagram's drinks business, according to the paper.Sources close to Allied Domecq said the company was "pleased with the positive publicity" but had no knowledge of any preferential treatment from V&S. "The auction has not even started and as yet we don't even know what is for sale and what is not," the source said.Allied's CEO Philip Bowman said in an internal memo to the company's staff on Friday that the Diageo/Pernod Ricard bid was "no surprise" because "Diageo has previously made clear its interest in certain brands within the Seagram portfolio." He doubts its success, however, because Diageo "would encounter major anti-trust problems in bidding for the whole business."He reiterated Allied's previous commitment to participate in industry consolidation but said he would not be "drawn into overpaying and thereby destroying shareholder value."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report