SWEDEN: V&S corners Nordic wine market by acquiring Marli Group
Sweden's wine and spirit giant Vin & Sprit (V&S) has tightened its grip on the Nordic wine market by acquiring an initial stake in Finland's Marli Group.
V&S has bought approximately one third of the company's shares for an undisclosed sum, with the intention of acquiring the remaining shares from the principal owner, Oy Rettig AB next year.
"We have decided to do the deal in two stages because we want the principal owner to run the company while the transition takes place. It will make the deal smoother," said V&S spokeswoman, Margareta Nystrom.
Marli Group comprises the Finnish companies Oy Scanfrentz AB and Oy Kjaer & Sommerfeldt AB, which have operations in Lappeenranta, Turku and Helsinki. In Denmark, the acquisition includes Vingaarden A/S, a wine producer, importer and retailer which employs 190 staff
One of Sweden's largest wine importers, Gote Andersson AB, is also included. Overall V&S will add 40m litres of alcohol to V&S's existing 130m litres sold each year. Analysts believe the acquisition allows V&S to capture a larger share of the growing wine market in the Nordic region. More young people are turning to wine over traditional beer and spirits for health reasons and consumption has steadily risen for some years now.
The company said the acquisition is in line with V&S strategy to become the leading operator of alcoholic beverages in the Nordic region, reinforced last year with its acquisition of Denmark's largest spirits company, Danisco Distillers.
Nystrom said it was too early to say whether Marli would be fully-integrated into the V&S group or remain relatively independent like Danisco. She also said Oy Rettig's management team would remain unchanged for the interim but a new board would be announced at a later date, which will include V&S executives.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
An Italian court has ruled in Anheuser-Busch's favour, ordering the cancellation of three registered trademarks in Italy held by Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar....
Anheuser-Busch has reiterated its 2005 earnings per share outlook....
Anheuser-Busch is the latest US drinks company to be hit by industrial action....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Minimum unit pricing fails to get European backing
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review