IRELAND: Vodka to go No. 1 as RTDs dive - report
Vodka is set to overtake whiskey as Ireland's favourite spirit for the first time, according to press reports. In yesterday's Sunday Independent, it was claimed that, following a nosedive in RTD sales, drinkers in the country are turning to cocktails and mixing their own drinks at home.
Speaking to the newspaper, the Gin and Vodka Association said: "The 18-24 age group is the largest vodka-drinking age group. This has consistently been at 36% - 37% of total vodka drinkers since 1989. The 25-34 age group accounts for 24% - 25% of all vodka drinkers."
Vodka has also replaced gin in the shopping basket of the Central Statistics Office for the first time in 50 years, the newspaper said. A CSO spokesman told the Independent: "We have to price the most popular products and confidential research from the market place shows vodka is now more popular than gin. We have to follow the trends in the market."
In the first nine months of 2004 gin sales were up by 0.6% in Ireland, while whiskey sales rose by 3.2%. Vodka sales, however, soared by 13.5%.
Even at the peak of their popularity, RTD sales accounted for just 2% of the total Irish alcohol market, the Independent noted. This year, RTD sales made up just 1% of the market.
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
Alcohol intake amongst young female adults in the UK continues to rise and shows no signs of abating, according to a recent report....
Cobra Beer has launched an alcohol-free beer in South Africa, the UK and in its European and Asian export markets....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends