EU: Vodka definition battle rages on
A restrictive ruling on the definition of vodka could could trigger an international trade dispute, according to the European Commission's Agriculture Commissioner.
Mariann Fischer Boel said yesterday (24 October) that a restrictive definition of the raw ingredients permitted in vodka could lead to a trade row.
Countries including Poland, Finland and Sweden have been pressing the Commission into protecting vodka as a traditional spirit made only from grain or potatoes.
The Commission currently feels that vodka should be made from any raw material providing that product is displayed on the bottle.
Diageo, which owns the grape-based vodka brand Cîroc, has attacked the claims by the so-called 'vodka belt'. "Limiting vodka to a few raw materials betrays the rich and varied history of the product, and will also trigger confusion among shoppers and ultimately impede consumer choice," said Sarah McNeill, global director for the reserve brands group at Diageo.
"From a brand manager's perspective this would be all the more regrettable, given that it is a distinction that does not need to be made."
Bringing together the great and the good of the world's whisky distillers, The World Whisky Conference - which ran this week in Glasgow - saw just-drinks out in force. Chris Brook-Carter looks back at...
Alizé has introduced a new rose blend to its line-up of flavoured liqueurs....
Skyy Vodka has unveiled a tie-up with The Independent Film Channel (IFC) in the US....
Diageo North America has launched a range of flavoured malt beverages in the region...
Castle Brands has launched a website for its flagship Boru Vodka brand....
Diageo is looking to up the presence of its Guinness stout beer in India....
Central European Distribution Corporation is looking to buy an unnamed drinks distributor in Poland....
A leading Bacardi executive has called on the Scotch whisky industry to radically rethink its rules on the definitions of Scotch whisky, questioning whether the strict guidelines were hindering Scotch...
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020