NORWAY: Vinmonopolet scandal claims CEO
Vinmonopolet's chief executive is to resign. The Norwegian state liquor monopoly has been hit by a bribery scandal and a police complaint over the probing of staff emails this year.
"Based on a wish to restore calm to Vinmonopolet, I will step down as managing director," Knut Groeholt said on Friday (2 December). Groeholt's resignation follows the departure of board chairman Harald Arnkvaern a month ago.
In January, 10 Vinmonopolet store directors were called to answer questions about accusations that they violated rules for relations between staffers and suppliers. The accusations were made by a sacked salesmen at Ekjord AS, one of Vinmonopolet's suppliers.
Meanwhile, in October, Norway's National Data Inspectorate filed a police complaint against Groeholt, accusing him of hiring private detectives who had opened private emails to five company employees without their prior permission.
The resignation is effective from 31 December, although Groeholt will assist the company in an advisory role.
No-one was available for comment at Vinmonopolet when contacted by just-drinks today.
Sales of alcohol in Norway are controlled by 180 Vinmonopolet stores, which are run by the Norwegian ministry of social affairs.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts