NORWAY: Vinmonopolet reports 7% rise in alcohol sales
The Norwegian state alcohol monopoly, Vinmonopolet, reported a 6.7% rise in alcohol sales in January 2002 compared with January 2001.
Vinmonopolet attributed the rise in sales to a reduction in alcohol tax which came into effect at the beginning of January 2002, but it said that the opening of 17 new stores was also a contributory factor. Taxes were reduced by 5% for wines and by 15% for spirits.
The state-owned retailer sold some 3.37 million litres of alcoholic beverages in January 2002, compared with 3.16 million litres in January 2001. The most marked rise was in spirits sales which rose by 9.7% from 537,000 litres to 589,000 litres. Table wine sales rose by 6.2% to 2.67 million litres while beer sales at Vinmonopolet stores rose by 8.3% to 28,000 litres.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends