Vinexpos Beijing show will not go ahead next year now

Vinexpo's Beijing show will not go ahead next year now

Wine fair organiser Vinexpo has cancelled a planned new event for Beijing next year after failing to secure a licence from the Chinese Government. 

The exhibition, first announced in June, was due to take place in Beijing on 2 and 3 June, with around 200 exhibitors expected. It had been branded as an extension to the existing Vinexpo Asia-Pacific. 

But, in a statement on Vinexpo's website on Friday (18 October), the organisers confirmed that the Beijing event has been postponed. “Vinexpo Overseas has not been able to secure the Chinese Government licence that it has expected through our China partner and, therefore, cannot go ahead with Vinexpo Beijing in June 2014,” the statement said.

But, it added: "This in no way reflects a lack of interest and potential for the wine industry in China.” 

The company said it will now focus all its efforts on Vinexpo Asia-Pacific, taking place in Hong Kong from 27 to 29 May next year. The exhibition is being extended to two floors, while “stand sites are selling at a substantial rate and faster than in previous years”, the organisers said. 

The Beijing event is not the first Vinexpo initiative to fall by the wayside in recent times. Last year, the company cancelled a consumer wine show planned for New York City, called 'Rendez-Vous by Vinexpo'. The plug was pulled after only 52 exhibitors were booked out of an expected 150.

Expert analysis

The Future of the Wine Market in China to 2017

The Future of the Wine Market in China to 2017

The report presents detailed data on the Wine consumption trends in China, providing historic and forecast consumption volume and value at market and category level, alcoholic strength (Fortified Wine...read more