UK: Vinexpo hits back at claims of boycott
The organisers of wine trade fair Vinexpo today reacted to just-drinks' report last week that a number of New World wine players have pulled out of this year's event.
A statement from Vinexpo's organisers said: "Californian wines will be present but E&J Gallo will not be participating. This is due to internal factors, about which Vinexpo is unable to comment. The company has, however, shown interest for 2007."
The statement added: "Wines of South Africa will not be participating. However, leading brands such as Western Wines and Distell will be present. The surface area devoted to South African wines will be approximately half of that in 2003. It should be remembered that there have been cuts in government subsidies to the wine sector in South Africa, which have resulted in a reduced spend on promotion.
"New Zealand Wine Growers will not indeed be taking up the 140sq m they had in 2003. However the generic body, since 1999 when it started to exhibit at Vinexpo, has always increased or decreased its presence according to the volume of wine available. New Zealand wines will be present through importers.
"Finally, Australia. Vinexpo has been aware for several months that The Australian Wine Bureau would not exhibit. However as the just-drinks.com article says, Australian wines will be present through major brands such as Constellation and through Austrade," the statement said.
Vinexpo said it also wished to comment on rumours that the US publication, Wine Spectator, will not be participating in Vinexpo 2005. "These are totally unfounded," it said.
An article in these pages on Friday reported that rising costs and the problems with air conditioning at 2003's event had contributed to the decision by some players not to attend Vinexpo this year.
Vinexpo concluded its statement by saying: "Following the breakdown of the air conditioning in Hall 3 in 2003, all exhibitors who were affected have received compensation. A brand new exhibition hall, Hall 3, has been built to replace the former structure. The hall will host exhibitors from Vinexpo and not from the new exhibition, Univers & Co by Vinexpo, as was mentioned in a second article, dated 4th February, on the just-drinks.com site."
Vinexpo 2005 will have exactly the same surface area as in 2003, i.e. 41,500 sqm.
Recently published research indicates that while consumers have taken to the clear and modern marketing techniques employed by New World producers, they still cherish the romance and mystique of wine,...
Constellation is expected to launch a counter-bid for Allied Domecq by the end of this month, according to press reports....
The Hardy Wine Company has posted a record grape harvest....
Constellation Brands is to launch a new Australian wine brand onto the US market through its North Lake Wines. The wine will be called Kelly's Revenge....
Constellation Brands is interested in some of Allied Domecq's spirits brands, according to reports today (15 April)....
Yesterday we ran a story that innaccurately gave details of plans by Constellation Brands to make job cuts at Robert Mondavi. In fact the cuts have already been made and the details of the restructuri...
Constellation has released details of the salaries for its leading executives next year....
It's been a quiet day on the Pernod/Allied Domecq front....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research