FINLAND: Vin & Sprit too big for Altia - CEO
Pankakoski, only in the job for three months, told Swedish-language newspaper Hufvudstadsbladet today (10 January) that Altia would wait to see who buys the soon-to-be privatised Swedish group - which includes the Absolut vodka brand - before deciding on its next move.
Altia's Koskenkorva vodka, Finland's best-selling spirit, could spearhead the company's drive to be the leading alcohol company in the Nordic and Baltic region by 2009 and in northern Europe by 2011. Altia would grow organically in Scandinavia before it starts to think about takeover targets, Pankakoski said.
"This sector is all about branding and building up a brand. I see great possibilities in creating bigger value from the iconic Finnish Koskenkorva and expanding them," he said.
The entry of Diageo into the Irish whiskey market has further enlivened a sector already growing steadily thanks to the efforts of the other major global spirits force, Pernod Ricard. And a new report...
The 61st World Health Assembly published its resolution on "Strategies to reduce the harmful use of alcohol" last month. Ben Cooper examines the resolution and the response from public health agencies...
Diageo has begun trialling two new vodka flavours in a select number of pubs and bars in the UK....
The Pocket Shot Company has entered into an alliance with spirits distributor Pocket Distribution in Europe....
Policymakers seeking to reduce binge-drinking should find ways of sending messages via complex social networks of friends who regularly abuse alcohol, a British study has concluded....
Castle Brands has posted a sharp rise in net losses, despite a slight lift in sales in its latest fiscal year....
Boosted by price increases, Constellation Brands has reported a solid first quarter which, it said today (1 July), has set it on track to achieve its 2009 objectives....
The European Commission has delayed its decision on Pernod Ricard's proposed acquisition of Vin & Sprit....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018