UK: Vin & Sprit sues Absolute Radio
Vin & Sprit, the owner of Swedish vodka brand Absolut, has launched legal proceedings against UK radio station Absolute Radio for infringement of its trademark.
The company has filed a complaint against Asbolute Radio, previously known as Virgin Radio, at the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division in London.
"The reason for the complaint is that we see a risk for [consumer] confusion, and consider this as passing-off," a spokesperson for Vin&Sprit told just-drinks today (14 October).
"Furthermore, Absolute Radio targets a wider and younger audience than Absolut Vodka in different media channels. There is a risk for confusion - consumers may perceive this as undue advertising to young people who are not of legal drinking age, which goes against the efforts of Absolut Vodka as a responsible spirits brand."
Last month, Virgin Radio rebranded as Absolute after it was bought by the Times of India group for GBP53.2m (US$93.3m) in June.
A spokesperson for Absolute Radio said today: "We absolutely believe that the two brands can exist alongside each other and that our five million listeners can distinguish between a vodka brand and a radio station.
"We hope for a swift resolution to this situation and remain 100% committed to our exciting plans for Absolute Radio."
As part of its rebranding, the rock station is launching nine TV ads featuring actor Jordan Prentice as part of a GBP2.2m, six-week marketing campaign.
To say that Ketil Eriksen had to hit the ground running when he became CEO of Absolut six months ago would be an understatement. Overseeing a massive reorganisation and dealing with the effects of the...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Philadelphia Distilling has appointed former Pernod-Ricard Americas CEO Alain Barbet as senior advisor to the company....
First Drinks Brands, the distribution business owned by whisky distiller William Grant & Sons, plans to spend GBP40m on marketing this year, following its deal to distribute Remy Cointreau brands in t...
Pernod Ricard has confirmed a raft of executive appointments, following changes announced last month at its China business....
Around 52% of adults believe that alcopops encourage underage drinking, according to a report out this week....
St Agnes has launched a new variant of its cola and brandy RTD beverage in Australia....
Diageo is to form a joint venture with Kirin Holdings in Japan....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research