SWEDEN: Vin & Sprit sees "logic" in Pernod purchase
Earlier this morning, Pernod confirmed that it has won the auction for Vin & Sprit, which owns the Absolut vodka brand, for US$8.9bn. The French company trumped Fortune Brands, which had been widely considered the favourite to acquire V&S.
In a short statement, Vin & Sprit's board said that it could see "considerable industrial logic" in the deal
"Pernod Ricard is a well-reputed company in the industry, with international brands as well as strong local presence," V&S said. "They take a long-term industrial view and have stated their ambition to continue to develop V&S's operations."
A spokesperson for Vin & Sprit declined to comment further when contacted by just-drinks today.
Diageo appears to be making light of the economic downturn, turning in highly respectable year-end figures late last month, but some brands performed better than others. In the second part of this spe...
It's been a tough week for global distributor Maxxium, whose future now hangs in the balance following deals to secure the departures of Pernod Ricard and Rémy Cointreau last week....
The economic downturn in the US has hit on-trade sales of some Pernod Ricard drinks brands, as more consumers drink at home, the French company has confirmed....
Chivas Brothers has appointed Publicis to handle the global advertising for The Glenlivet as part of an agency realignment for the company....
Scotch whisky group Whyte & Mackay has said its performance for the year looks "very healthy", offering more evidence that Scotch has bucked an economic downturn....
The top ten most read stories on just-drinks last week....
Pernod Ricard has warned that a severe slowdown across western economies may damage its earnings over the next year....
Enotria has appointed a new director of marketing....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts