SWEDEN: Vin & Sprit sale confirmed
The Swedish government has decided to sell Vin & Sprit by auction, with cash appearing to be the deciding factor.
The country's Finance Minister, Mats Odell, confirmed today (11 December) that V&S, which owns the Absolut vodka brand, will be privatised in a trade sale at some point next year.
"We have now finished the preparatory phase and will begin a more active phase. A transaction is expected to be announced next year," Odell was quoted as saying by Swedish news agency TT. "I hope it can happen fast and in an effective way but it's not the specific time that is the most important but that we get the best possible price."
Interested parties, thought to include Fortune Brands, Diageo, Pernod Ricard and Bacardi, will be contacted today, Odell noted. "It will be the one who pays the highest price and the one who after a full assessment shows that it offers the best (deal) for the Swedish households."
Odell also said that V&S would be sold whole, and not broken up. As well as Absolut, V&S also owns, among others, the Luksusowa vodka brand in Poland and Cruzan rum.
No-one was immediately available for further comment at the Swedish finance ministry when contacted by just-drinks today.
Beam Global Spirits & Wine was the frontrunner to land Absolut vodka but was pipped at the post by Pernod Ricard. However, president and CEO Tom Flocco says the company has quickly put that disappoint...
Brown-Forman has posted record sales for its fiscal year, driven by a strong performance in its international markets....
The US Federal Trade Commission has finally given Diageo the green light to push through its partnership with the Nolet family and the Ketel One vodka brand....
Kentucky-based Heaven Hill Distilleries has re-opened its newly expanded Bernheim Distillery....
Russian Standard Vodka has entered into a partnership with Cirrus Airlines, one of Germany's largest independent regional airlines....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
The prospective head of Pernod Ricard has warned that there could be a reduction in the number of flavoured editions of the Absolut vodka brand going forward....
Blavod Extreme Spirits has secured the intellectual property rights for the Blackwood's gin and vodka brands....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research