SWEDEN: Vin & Sprit privatisation begins – report
The auction for Vin & Sprit has begun, according to reports.
The Wall Street Journal said today (25 January) that the Swedish government has this week closed its first round of bidding for the state-owned drinks company, which owns the Absolut vodka brand.
Speaking to just-drinks earlier this week, however, Pernod's CEO, Pierre Pringuet was unable to confirm the company's plans to acquire the Swedish company, due to a confidentiality agreement with the Swedish Government. Among the other drinks companies widely believed to be part of the bidding process are Fortune Brands, Diageo and Bacardi.
The Government plans to consider the initial bids for V&S, which is thought to be worth between US$5bn and $6.5bn, before opening a second round of bidding in six weeks time for those companies the Government has put forward to continue in the process, the paper reported.
A separate report from Sweden today claimed that seven indicative bids have been placed, starting at SEK40bn ($6.18bn), although the Government declined to comment on the claims.
A sale is expected to complete at some point in the first half of this year, despite the current turbulence in the world's stock markets.
Pernod Ricard has been set a selection of hoops to jump through ahead of the closure of its acquisition of Vin & Sprit....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Maxxium UK is launching an Absolut Vodka summer gift pack for the UK market....
Pernod Ricard has refused to confirm reports it is in talks to sell its Glendronach malt whisky distillery for GBP30m....
Future Brands, the US sales and distribution operation for Beam Global Spirits & Wine and the Absolut Spirits Company, has unveiled several changes to its management structure and leadership team....
Havana Club is extending its 'El Culto a la Vida' global campaign with new TV and print advertising creatives. The campaign, which was unveiled at the end of May, covers a range of the Havana Club ex...
Chivas Brothers, the Scotch whisky and premium gin business of Pernod Ricard, is opening the doors of its Longmorn and Allt a'Bhainne distilleries for visitor tours and tastings....
Whyte & Mackay has declined to comment on reports that it is considering a move for Glenmorangie's Glen Moray Distillery....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research