SWEDEN: Vin & Sprit loses trademark battle
V&S had sued the company, based in Kaellby, for copyright infringement for using the image and name of Smith, also known as the "King of Vodka" on its L.O. Smith brand of vodka. Smith is considered by V&S to be the founder of its Absolut brand and his image is imprinted on Absolut bottles.
However, the appeal court upheld an earlier lower court judgment which ruled that there was no risk of consumers confusing the two brands and that the Smith name and image were not part of the Absolut trademark. It had also ordered V&S to pay J&J Nordic's legal costs amounting to SKr120,000 ($13,000).
Combining genuine brand chic with selling millions of cases is to dream the impossible dream for most spirits executives, but for Bengt Baron, president and CEO of Absolut owners V&S Group, it is a re...
Having been something of a European institution for years, the end of duty-free, the lowering of some Nordic duty rates and cheaper prices in domestic supermarkets have combined to reduce the allure o...
Diageo's spiced rum brand, Captain Morgan, has made strong gains in the US spirits market but, as David Robertson reports, it has so far been unable to replicate this success in other markets....
Flavoured vodkas have been a major success story in the US where they have prospered on the back of strong sector growth and premiumisation. With European markets also showing consistent growth and so...
The Absolut Spirits Company has completed its acquisition of Cruzan International....
Cruzan International has received shareholder support for its pending merger with The Absolut Spirits Company....
A shareholders meeting to decide whether Cruzan International should approve a merger deal with majority stakeholder Absolut Spirits has been called by the company's board of directors....
V&S Absolut Spirits saw sales of its flagship vodka Absolut rise 9% last year on the back of surging sales outside the US....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Brown-Forman launches brand nutrition website
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers