SWEDEN: Vin & Sprit completes site evacuation
Vin & Sprit has completed the clearance of one of its Swedish facilities, with its Cognac production moving to Cognac, France.
Speaking to just-drinks today (21 February), a spokesperson for the Sweden-based state-owned company confirmed that the transfer of operations from its Sundsvall plant is now complete. Production of its Grönstedt Cognac brand switched to France late last year, with the first delivery of the relocated brand hitting Sweden this month.
"As well as moving our Cognac production to France, we have sent our whisky production to France, our aquavits and vodkas to Denmark and our liqueurs to our facilities in Finland," the spokesperson said. Production of V&S' Absolut vodka brand remains unaffected by the move, with Absolut operations continuing in Aarhus in the country, the spokesperson noted.
The Sundsvall site will now be mothballed, pending the sale of V&S at some point in the first half of this year, the spokesperson added.
"We announced the closure of our site in Sundsvall early last year," the spokesperson continued. "Domestic spirits sales have been falling in the last few years, and Sundsvall consequently was only running at around half its capacity.
"In 1993, the Swedish market stood at around 40m litres. Today, it is at around 17.5m litres."
The spokesperson blamed the fact that consumers were bringing more spirits into the country from abroad for the poor performance.
Maxxium has readied the release of the latest variant of Absolut vodka for the UK....
Grand Marnier is to launch a new marketing campaign in the UK, designed to encourage consumers to add the Cognac and orange liqueur to their after dinner coffees....
Stolichnaya vodka is not for sale, but brand owner SPI Group is in negotiations to form new distribution agreements in key markets, minority shareholder Andrey Skurikhin has told just-drinks....
Thirty five of the world's 100 largest-selling spirits brands by volume are Asian, according to new research....
A bid by US firm Frank Pesce International Group for the global rights to Stolichnaya vodka has been rejected by brand owner SPI, just-drinks understands....
Cognac and Champagne producer Remy Cointreau has returned to profit in its recent full-year, but has warned the next 12 months would be a "transition period" for the group....
French luxury goods firm LVMH has announced a 5% sales rise for its first half, with wine and spirits brands showing a strong recovery in the second quarter....
US-based buyers would likely be favourites in an auction for Stolichnaya, one senior analyst has told just-drinks, but any potential sale remains shrouded in secrecy....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends