UK: Vijay Mallya's son joins Whyte & Mackay
The son of Vijay Mallya, the billionaire owner of India's UB Group, is to work for the firm's Scotch whisky subsidiary, Whyte & Mackay.
Siddharth Mallya will be joining Whyte & Mackay in a sales and marketing role from this month, a spokesperson for the company confirmed to just-drinks today (2 February).
The move will fuel speculation that Siddharth is being groomed for a future senior role within his father's UB Group, which owns United Spirits and United Breweries - India's leading alcoholic drinks firms.
Mallya has joined Whyte & Mackay after spending a year in Diageo's marketing team, as part of the drinks giant's graduate training scheme. He will remain based in London.
"He will be looking after sales, marketing and business development for high end hotels and restaurants in London and the surrounding area," said a Whyte & Mackay spokesperson.
India's drinks industry was not harmed badly by the recession, with domestic sales of soft drinks and juice production all growing steadily throughout 2009, according to a recent Euromonitor report. I...
- Winners & losers of AB InBev's SABMiller takeover
- Can Bacardi take its rum back to the party?
- ABInBev on the verge of SABMiller buy? - Comment
- How big is MegaBrew? ABI/SAB market share, brands
- What Trans-Pacific Partnership means for drinks
- Anheuser-Busch InBev wins SABMiller's hand
- A-B InBev raises SABMiller offer to GBP70.5bn
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- Beam Suntory CMO to stand down
- Ketel One co-owner now Bols' largest shareholder
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report