FRANCE: Vignobles Lacombe claims first on “climatically neutral” wines
Vignobles Lacombe has claimed that it will soon be the first producer in France to offer wines which are "climatically neutral" or "neutral for the climate", and which contribute to slowing down global warming.
The firm, which produces 365,000 bottles of red wine annually from 4 AOC estates in the Médoc, said yesterday (17 October) that it has hired specialist company ClimatePartner to calculate its green house gases emissions and carbon compensation.
"In a wine-making business, there are numerous stages where CO2 is emitted: gases are given off during the vinification process, bottling operations and transport. We have already adopted measures to minimise our carbon imprint and are committed to reducing it even more, all this without cultivating the vines with horses," says Lacombe's owner, Rémi Lacombe.
Based on data collected by ClimatePartner, Lacombe expects to know during the course of this month the volume of green house gases it emits during the production process. A certificate attesting that the firm has compensated for the CO2 released will then be issued. Each bottle of the company's Bordeaux wine will carry a "neutral for the climate" neck sticker.
Green issues are taking centre-stage in the wine industry at the moment, with producers across the world working to develop more environmentally friendly products and practices, and find ways to commu...
A delimited production area is both the main strength and weakness of a wine appellation, a guarantee of quality but a major obstacle to growth. Plans in Champagne, arguably the premier appellation of...
Geographic appellations have existed in the wine world for centuries. In the spirits sector, however, the appellation has been much more sparingly used. But geographical definition is at the core of S...
Marketing spirits as constituents in new or popular cocktails has been a feature of the spirits category for years. And the growing emphasis on attracting younger consumers has meant the cocktail has ...
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- What's in store for Super Bowl 5 - Focus
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Moet Hennessy sees China rebound in strong FY
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research