USA: US vice-president declares federal emergency to save California wine industry from "greatest-ever threat"
The greatest threat ever to the existence of the California wine industry has forced US vice president Al Gore to declare a federal emergency.The US government has pledged a staggering $22 million as part of a $36.6m joint State-federal effort to combat a disease that could wipe out the California wine industry, according to leading industry figures.The cause of all this panic is Pierce's Disease and in particular the vine feeding bug that spreads this bacterial infection, the Glassy-winged Sharpshooter.The bug, officially known as Homolodisca coagulata, is according to California's Governor Gray Davis "the single largest threat to our grape, raisin and wine industries in a very long time."The bug is blackish-brown and about a centimetre long. With a relentless appetite it feeds on the grapevine, but also transmits Pierce's disease, which kills the vine by choking it of its water supply.Pierce's disease has existed in isolated parts of the State for a number of years. However, the arrival of the Sharpshooter from the south-eastern United States, on ornamental flower shipments, has put in place a devastating chain of vine destruction.Last year the bug attacked Temecula Valley, northeast of San Diego, destroying as much as 50% of the region's 1,200 hectares and causing $30m of damage.Worryingly for the premium producers of the Napa and Sonoma Valleys the bug has now been spotted as far north as Alameda County, while eggs have been found on plants within California's two most famous regions.Chris Brook-CarterFor a full report see just-drinks this Friday
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends