POLAND: US fund set to buy Polmos Lublin
Polish distiller Polmos Lublin looks set to face a change in ownership after its controlling shareholder was bought by a US private equity fund.
US-based Oaktree Capital Management yesterday (5 October) struck a deal to buy Polish firm Jablonna, which had held a 41% stake in Polmos Lublin.
No financial details were disclosed but according to Polish press reports, the value of the stake is around PLN95m (US$30.6m).
Under Polish law, Oaktree must table a bid for the rest of the shares in Polmos Lublin and has offered PLN52 a share. Oaktree vice president Justin Bickle said: "We are paying a full and fair price to the current shareholders and we believe that the current shareholders will respond accordingly."
Oaktree admitted its move for Polmos Lublin was "opportunistic" and was prompted by the failure of US-based Central European Distribution Corporation to buy Lublin.
CEDC, Poland's largest vodka producer, saw its bid to buy Lublin blocked in May when Poland's anti-trust authorities blocked the acquisition on competition grounds.
Oaktree said: "The Polish vodka market is highly competitive and has matured to the point where it is declining. As a result, Oaktree will concentrate on maintaining (Polmos Lublin's) current market position, which will require long term investments."
Polmos Lublin's key brands include vodkas Zoladkowa Gorzka and Zubr.
Riding the twin waves of a booming premium spirits market and growth in Tequila, The Patrón Spirits Company has made great strides in a short space of time. In this month's Just the Answer interview, ...
Sweden's Finance Ministry has confirmed that an official close to the planned privatisation of V&S Group has resigned....
V&S Group is set to beef up its distribution network in the Nordic region with the acquisition of Norwegian wine and spirits distributor Amundsen....
Heaven Hill Distilleries is to expand another of its facilities in the US....
India's UB Group is close to finally sealing the takeover of UK distiller Whyte & Mackay, just-drinks understands. UB, headed by Indian billionaire Vijay Mallya, has pursued Whyte & Mackay since start...
Absolut vodka owner V&S Group has appointed a new chairman....
Finnish state-owned beverage alcohol group Altia Corporation today (21 March) confirmed that it is eyeing the Nordic operations of Absolut vodka owner V&S Group....
Castle Brands has lost its second finance chief in under five months....
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research