USA: US environmentalists and residents washed away by Perrier plan
After being refused permission to tap into the Mecan Springs, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources has granted initial approval to bottled water giant Perrier to construct test wells around Big Spring, near Wisconsin Dells.Perrier will have to assess the impact on groundwater, surface water and wetlands from the test wells, and will have to determine if the natural springs will support the 500 gallons per minute, Perrier is hoping to draw from the springs.Despite fierce opposition, there are more than 9,000 similar wells in the state, and at a time when bottled water companies have seen continuing sales growth worldwide, Perrier could not be refused.But, with plans to build a bottling plant nearby, and after months of looking for a Midwestern spring source, Perrier could soon be in a position to expand further into manufactured water as well as natural spring water.So, environmentalists and residents opposing Perrier's plans, may soon see themselves stuck with a catch-22 scenario, with the bottled water giant winning whatever.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future