USA: US environmentalists and residents washed away by Perrier plan
After being refused permission to tap into the Mecan Springs, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources has granted initial approval to bottled water giant Perrier to construct test wells around Big Spring, near Wisconsin Dells.Perrier will have to assess the impact on groundwater, surface water and wetlands from the test wells, and will have to determine if the natural springs will support the 500 gallons per minute, Perrier is hoping to draw from the springs.Despite fierce opposition, there are more than 9,000 similar wells in the state, and at a time when bottled water companies have seen continuing sales growth worldwide, Perrier could not be refused.But, with plans to build a bottling plant nearby, and after months of looking for a Midwestern spring source, Perrier could soon be in a position to expand further into manufactured water as well as natural spring water.So, environmentalists and residents opposing Perrier's plans, may soon see themselves stuck with a catch-22 scenario, with the bottled water giant winning whatever.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research