US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer - study
Craft spirits in the US are growing volume and value share
Craft distillers could become as important to the US spirits market as craft brewers are to beer, a new study has said.
Last year, craft spirits producers accounted for 2.2% of US spirits volumes and 3% of value, according to a report from the American Craft Spirits Association released today. In comparison, in 2010 they held just 0.8% of volumes and 1.1% of value.
The footprint is still some way short of craft beer's, which accounts for 11% of value in US beer. However, the ACSA study, which interviewed industry players, said craft spirits has the potential to catch up.
"Many surveyed retailers and wholesalers see the potential for craft spirits to perform in line or better than craft beer over time," the ACSA said.
Other findings of the study, which was made in partnership with the IWSR and Park Street, include:
- As of August this year, there were 1,315 active craft spirits producers in US
- Exports of US craft spirits reached 523,000 cases last year, adding more than 10% of additional volume to US craft distiller total sales
- The top five states by number of craft distilleries (CA, NY, WA, CO & TX) are home to 36% of US craft distillers
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends