US cider set for growth spurt - research
Rekorderlig is expanding in the US
US cider consumption is to jump by 12% a year over the next five years as newer markets grab the lion's share of growth from the UK, a new report has said.
Growth in the US will outpace the average global growth rate of 5%, while Australia will also increase consumption every year by 12% to 2020, according to a Canadean report released this week. Along with South Africa, these countries will account for 70% of the additional 640m litres of cider consumed globally in the five-year period.
The increases will cut back the UK's market share of cider consumption, which is expected to drop from 41% this year to 33% in 2020, according to the report.
Cider companies are targeting the US as a major cider market as consumers turn away from mainstream beer brands towards craft and new innovations such as Anheuser-Busch InBev's Lime-a-Rita range of spirit-based beers.
Last year, Thatchers launched its Gold cider brand in the US while Chili marketing, the team behind Swedish cider Rekorderlig, is opening new offices across the country.
The number of US high school students that drink alcohol has dropped in the past nine years, a new survey shows....
US volume share for Small Town Brewery's Not Your Father's Root Beer has more than halved in the past six months, according to new research. ...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts