GLOBAL: US becomes largest still light wine market - research
The US is now the world's largest still light wine market, according to latest figures
The US has overtaken Italy to become the world’s largest still light wine market and has scope for further growth, according to the IWSR.
Still light wine sales in the US last year hit 300.6m cases, up 4.2% on 2010, figures published today (14 June) by the research group reveal. In contrast, sales in Italy fell 1.2% to 297.3m cases.
France also continued its long-term decline, with sales of the category falling by 0.8% to 271.6m cases.
In the US, sales of domestic still light wines rose 5.1% to 221m cases, while imports rose 1.9% to 82.1m cases. In particular, demand for Old World still light wines has risen, with increases for Italy (9.1%), France (5.4%) and Spain (8.7%). However, the IWSR said unfavourable exchange rates have dampened demand for wines from Chile (-4.4%) and Argentina (+0.5%).
Meanwhile, the IWSR forecast that the still light wine market will reach 322m cases by 2015.
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report