BELGIUM/US: US authorities make "second request" to Anheuser-Busch InBev over Grupo Modelo deal
A-B InBev is having to provide extra information to the US authorities
The Belgium-headquartered brewer said the move, called a "second request", is a "normal part" of the review process under the US' Hart-Scott-Rodino Improvements Act of 1976. The group still expects the deal to complete by early-2013, it said in a statement late Friday (17 August).
A-B InBev announced in June that it has agreed to buy the 50% share in Modelo it does not already own for US$20.1bn. Grupo Modelo will also sell its 50% stake in US beer import JV Crown Imports to its partner, Constellation Brands, for US$1.85bn, to avoid A-B InBev facing competition issues.
"The company intends to respond expeditiously to the second request and continues to expect the transaction to close during the first quarter of 2013," A-B InBev said.
However, analysts at Stifel Nicolaus said they regard this timetable as "out of synch with market expectations".
But, they added: "The request may prove to be purely informational, and we believe a DoJ-inspired remedy, if any, would intend to keep ABI from promoting excessive industry price growth."
A-B InBev added that the deal also still requires regulatory approval from Mexico and "other countries".
It would appear that either Anheuser-Busch InBev doesn't have the stomach for a courtroom battle with the US Department of Justice - would anyone? - or it has had 'a bit of a chat' with the department...
Heineken has a "low appetite" for China's mainstream beer sector and will continue to concentrate on the premium end of the market, the head of the Dutch brewer has said....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends