MEXICO: US and Canada sign Tequila accord
Mexico, the US and Canada will sign an accord aimed at boosting the quality of Tequila-based products bottled outside Mexico, a spokeswoman for supplier's lobby Consejo Regulador del Tequila (CRT) confirmed to just-drinks.
The three countries are expected to sign the pact by year end. The accord is necessary to regulate Tequila production to comply with Mexican standards and stem the proliferation of adultered and low-quality versions of the spirit.
US and Canadian manufacturers import so-called 4951 category Tequila (pure tequila blended with certain sugars) to produce their own brands. However, some modify the product with other non-Mexican blends, undermining its quality.
"If they say they are using 10 litres of our Tequila we want them to use exactly that," the CRT spokeswoman said, adding that the measure is also intended to preserve the prestige of Mexico's original-label Tequila exports.
Meanwhile, the CRT announced that Mexican Tequila exports rose 10.7% to 60.8m litres, buoyed by strong demand from the key US and Canadian market. Mixed and original label exports rose 6% an 42% to 50.3m and 10.5m liters respectively.
German spirits group Borco has struck a distribution deal in India for its Sierra Tequila brand....
The US and Mexico have struck an agreement on Tequila allowing US distributors to import the spirit in bulk and bottle it north of the border....
Blavod Extreme Spirits is in talks to expand distribution of El Diamante del Cielo Tequila in the US....
Hayman Distillers has unveiled the first phase of its relaunch for the Scorpion Tequila brand with new packaging for the Gold and Silver variants in the range. ...
The Blavod Extreme Spirits joint venture Diamante Spirits is to produce and market a new Tequila, El Diamante del Cielo (Diamond in the Sky). The new product will have a retail value between US$45-60 ...
Drinks Americas Holdings has agreed to form a marketing and distribution joint venture with Sackets Harbor Brewing Company, the New York speciality brewer....
Government inspectors carrying out checks on bars, restaurants and nightclubs in the greater Athens area have found that 100% of samples of rum and tequila had been adulterated....
Spanish brewer Estrella Galicia is to invest €30m between 2006-08 to grow its domestic wine and water businesses, a company spokeswoman confirmed to just-drinks....
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World