MEXICO: US and Canada sign Tequila accord
Mexico, the US and Canada will sign an accord aimed at boosting the quality of Tequila-based products bottled outside Mexico, a spokeswoman for supplier's lobby Consejo Regulador del Tequila (CRT) confirmed to just-drinks.
The three countries are expected to sign the pact by year end. The accord is necessary to regulate Tequila production to comply with Mexican standards and stem the proliferation of adultered and low-quality versions of the spirit.
US and Canadian manufacturers import so-called 4951 category Tequila (pure tequila blended with certain sugars) to produce their own brands. However, some modify the product with other non-Mexican blends, undermining its quality.
"If they say they are using 10 litres of our Tequila we want them to use exactly that," the CRT spokeswoman said, adding that the measure is also intended to preserve the prestige of Mexico's original-label Tequila exports.
Meanwhile, the CRT announced that Mexican Tequila exports rose 10.7% to 60.8m litres, buoyed by strong demand from the key US and Canadian market. Mixed and original label exports rose 6% an 42% to 50.3m and 10.5m liters respectively.
German spirits group Borco has struck a distribution deal in India for its Sierra Tequila brand....
The US and Mexico have struck an agreement on Tequila allowing US distributors to import the spirit in bulk and bottle it north of the border....
Blavod Extreme Spirits is in talks to expand distribution of El Diamante del Cielo Tequila in the US....
Hayman Distillers has unveiled the first phase of its relaunch for the Scorpion Tequila brand with new packaging for the Gold and Silver variants in the range. ...
The Blavod Extreme Spirits joint venture Diamante Spirits is to produce and market a new Tequila, El Diamante del Cielo (Diamond in the Sky). The new product will have a retail value between US$45-60 ...
Drinks Americas Holdings has agreed to form a marketing and distribution joint venture with Sackets Harbor Brewing Company, the New York speciality brewer....
Government inspectors carrying out checks on bars, restaurants and nightclubs in the greater Athens area have found that 100% of samples of rum and tequila had been adulterated....
Spanish brewer Estrella Galicia is to invest €30m between 2006-08 to grow its domestic wine and water businesses, a company spokeswoman confirmed to just-drinks....
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- NPD: Brewdog's Born to Die
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review