UK: Up drinking age, says think-tank
A UK think-tank has called for a raising of the legal drinking age in the UK.
Over the weekend, Public Policy Research (PPR), the journal of the IPPR think-tank, said the country should consider increasing the age consumers can legally drink at to 21, in light of a nation that has "lost the plot" regarding alcohol regulation.
"When it comes to booze, society seems to have lost its senses," PPR said. Were the age limit to be increased, "it is at least possible that those in their early- and mid-teens will not see drink as something they will soon be allowed to do so therefore they might as well start doing it surreptitiously now".
One other alternative proposed by the body is for 18-year-olds to carry smart cards recording their level of alcohol consumption each night, as well as making it an offence to serve alcohol to anyone under 21 who had already consumed more than three units beforehand.
News this week that SABMiller and Molson Coors are to team up in the US beer market may have caught the industry by surprise, but the logic is compelling. As Olly Wehring reports, not only can the dea...
Alcohol consumption in the UK has dropped for the second consecutive year, according to industry figures....
Rum producers from French overseas departments (counties) have been given a 50% tax break on excise duty charged on sales within mainland France, stretching until December 2012....
Singha Corp has announced plans to add a seventh plant to its operations specifically for bottled water and carbonated beverages....
SABMiller and Molson Coors have confirmed plans to combine their US and Puerto Rico operations....
Carlsberg has launched a new high alcohol beer from its Celarevo brewery, making it the strongest beer available in the Serbian market....
Radico Khaitan has teamed up with two other Indian companies to build a new distillery in the western state of Maharashtra....
Indian conglomerate UB Group has announced a raft of key executive appointments at at its drinks subsidiaries, Whyte & Mackay, United Spirits and United Breweries, promoting long-standing employees to...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Coca-Cola to get boost from Monster in China
- CCE shows faith in Coca-Cola Life with full launch
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- Gruppo Campari US unit head steps down
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018