INDIA: United Spirits to set up plant in West Bengal - report
United Spirits is looking to invest in a grain-based whisky plant in India according to local reports.
A company official was cited by The Press Trust of India late last week as saying that United Spirits will make an investment of INR350m (US$8.9m) to build a plant capable of producing 30 kilolitres per day in Asansol, west Bengal.
The official reportedly indicated that the company plans to also set up similar plants in Maharashtra and north India and that it had sold 66m cases in the last financial year
was targeting a sales growth of 15% this year.
Earlier this year, United Spirits, which is the spirits unit of United Brewery Group, acquired Scotch whisky firm Whyte & Mackay for US$1.18bn after a protracted negotiation period.
Fortune Brands' Beam Global Spirits & Wine appeared to be perfectly placed to swoop for Vin & Sprit, but yesterday's announcement that Pernod Ricard had won the Swedish company's hand surprised most o...
Pernod Ricard's success in landing Absolut vodka has cast doubt over the future of Stolichnaya, currently marketed internationally by Pernod but which the French company will now be looking to offload...
Inver House Distillers has launched an updated website for its Balblair Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky brand, detailing the history of the vintage malt portfolio....
United Spirits and Bacardi have both denied press speculation that they are in talks over Bacardi buying a stake in the Indian spirits company....
Diageo is upping the presence of its international brands in India, with the launch of Baileys and the relaunch of Johnnie Walker Gold Label....
A court in Canada has reversed an earlier ruling permitting a Canadian distiller using the word 'Glen' on one of its whiskies....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
The Constellation subsidiary Vincor Canada has acquired the business of its affiliated company Medallion Wine Marketing in Canada....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review