INDIA: United Spirits to offload United Breweries stake
United Spirits is set to become majority-controlled by Diageo
In a regulatory filing yesterday (7 January), it was revealed that United Spirits has pledged to dispose of its 3.21% share in UB Group's brewing division. The spirits division of UB Group holds 8.5m equity shares in United Breweries.
Financial details of the transaction were not disclosed.
Yesterday, it emerged that Diageo's bid to buy 26% of United Spirits' public shares, as part of a deal to take a controlling stake in the Indian firm, has been delayed. However, the UK group said it still expects the deal to complete in Q1 this year.
Shares in UB Group were today down by 1.15% at INR894.65.
The drinks sector is particularly fertile ground for mergers and acquisition activity, with a number of big businesses accustomed to making acquisitions to spur growth, new players popping up all over...
In a recently-published global briefing 'Diageo in Spirits', Euromonitor International's senior alcoholic drinks analyst Jeremy Cunnington takes a look at what are the challenges facing Diageo in spi...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research