INDIA: United Spirits to offload United Breweries stake
United Spirits is set to become majority-controlled by Diageo
In a regulatory filing yesterday (7 January), it was revealed that United Spirits has pledged to dispose of its 3.21% share in UB Group's brewing division. The spirits division of UB Group holds 8.5m equity shares in United Breweries.
Financial details of the transaction were not disclosed.
Yesterday, it emerged that Diageo's bid to buy 26% of United Spirits' public shares, as part of a deal to take a controlling stake in the Indian firm, has been delayed. However, the UK group said it still expects the deal to complete in Q1 this year.
Shares in UB Group were today down by 1.15% at INR894.65.
The drinks sector is particularly fertile ground for mergers and acquisition activity, with a number of big businesses accustomed to making acquisitions to spur growth, new players popping up all over...
In a recently-published global briefing 'Diageo in Spirits', Euromonitor International's senior alcoholic drinks analyst Jeremy Cunnington takes a look at what are the challenges facing Diageo in spi...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015