INDIA/UK: United Spirits' price tag "full, but fair" for Diageo - analyst
Diageo would benefit from a cut in Scotch import duties in India, if approved
Bernstein Research said the group's INR111.7bn (US$2.05bn) bid, announced on Friday (9 November), is around 20 times United Spirits EBITDA for the past 12 months. It also noted that India has “an exceptionally difficult regulatory environment” that includes a 150% duty rate on Scotch imports.
But, Bernstein said the bid figure is “probably fair given the option value on Scotch if and when tariffs fall on imported liquors”.
Nomura said that a cut in duties could add around US$400m to the overall Scotch profit pool in India, with Diageo “in a good position to capture the lion’s share”.
It added: "We see very significant opportunity to add value through premiumising local spirit and leveraging the distribution platform for international spirits, especially Scotch whisky.”
However, Bernstein flagged that Diageo is subject to the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and “may choose to walk away from transactions which do not pass this very high hurdle rate of corporate governance”.
“As a result, we expect that in the first year or two of ownership, the USL business may well shrink to a more sustainable core,” it added.
Looking ahead to further Diageo M&A, Nomura estimated that its net debt/EBITDA is “not stretched” at around x2.1.
“This leaves headroom for further deals," the company said. "We estimate that a purchase of 100% of the Cuervo Tequila business would increase this leverage to around x2.5 net debt/EBITDA.”
Yesterday evening, the Worshipful Company of Distillers hosted a debate in London about gin. Up for discussion was the question: "Gin: A tortuous history with a brilliant future?"...
I can't remember precisely when I first saw the BRIC acronym. Indeed, with only ten years' experience of the drinks industry, it seems to be have been around longer than I have. I can remember, howeve...
The many facets of rum reflect a versatility that looks set to keep an already growing category moving in the right direction, according to a new report from just-drinks and The IWSR....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages