INDIA: United Spirits offers wine growers shares
The wines division of United Spirits Limited (USL), a subsidiary of Vijay Mallya's UB Group, is planning to improve long-term partnerships with grape growers by offering them shares in the company.
"We want to enter into long term contracts with farmers and we would like them to join us as partners, therefore we are offering qualified farmers 500 shares per acre of grape-growing land owned," said Abhay Kewadkar, director of Four Seasons' Wines and Business Head for wine at USL.
The group has already selected 900 acres in the Baramathi area south of Pune, from around 1200 farmer applications received.
The qualification process involves checking the site's soil and irrigation facilities, the farmer's commitment in the long-term, and knowledge of grape growing.
The specifics of the shareholding, such as voting or non-voting and exit policy, have not yet been decided by the company, it said, however.
Separately, a senior source at USL today (9 October) strongly denied reports in the local media that the Spirits and Wines divisions of the company are to be integrated.
Recent results suggest all spirits companies are feeling the effects of the downturn but some are better equipped for long-term growth than others. Jeremy Cunnington of Euromonitor International asses...
Whyte & Mackay is to exit its sponsorship of Scottish Premier League football team Hibernian FC....
Whyte & Mackay has appointed a new CEO. The Scotch whisky firm, which was bought by India's UB Group in 2007, said today (24 March) that John Beard started in the new position yesterday, replacing Ash...
Whyte & Mackay has declined to comment on reports that it could be sold by its parent company in the coming months....
Asif Adil, managing director of Diageo India, has left the company and will be replaced by Roland Abella, the drinks giant has said....
ThaiBev has declined to comment on reports out of India that the firm has entered negotiations with Vijay Mallya's United Spirits....
Diageo CEO Paul Walsh has affirmed the group's desire to increase its presence in India, but said that talks with Vijay Mallya's United Spirits remain in the preliminary stages....
Whyte & Mackay has declined to comment on reports claiming that its owner, United Spirits, is considering selling off up to 49% of its stake in the Scotch whisky company....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research