INDIA: United Breweries reports strong Q3
United Breweries looks likely to have taken share off rivals on the Indian beer market after reporting strong rises in profits and sales for its fiscal third quarter.
Net sales for the three months to the end of December reached INR4.46bn (US$96.5m), up 18% on the INR3.77bn from the same period a year ago, United Breweries said late last week.
Profits for the quarter leapt to INR212.6m, from INR14.7m a year earlier.
Net profits for the first nine months of the year reached INR684m, said the Kingfisher brewer. The total is above the INR625m reported for the group's most recent full fiscal year and more than double the INR292m in earnings for the first nine months of that year.
Given the difficulties experienced by United Breweries' main rival, SABMiller, it looks likely that the Indian brewer has gained market share. It has an estimated near-50% share of the market, with SABMiller on 35%.
Net sales for the first nine months of the year rose to INR14.2bn, from INR12.2bn last year, said the group, which is the brewing arm of billionaire Vijay Mallya's UB Group.
SABMiller last week reported a 7% slip in volume sales in India for its own third quarter, also to the end of December. The slip was, however, a marked improvement on the group's 21% fall in volume sales in the six months to the end of September.
In December, United Breweries agreed to hand a 37.5% stake in its business to Heineken.
The UK's Coalition Government has launched a new agency to simplify corporate tax rules in a move designed to silence dissent within some of the country's leading companies, including Diageo....
- Can Bacardi take its rum back to the party?
- Winners & losers of AB InBev's SABMiller takeover
- What Trans-Pacific Partnership means for drinks
- ABInBev on the verge of SABMiller buy? - Comment
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Anheuser-Busch InBev wins SABMiller's hand
- A-B InBev raises SABMiller offer to GBP70.5bn
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- Beam Suntory CMO to stand down
- Ketel One co-owner now Bols' largest shareholder
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report