INDIA: United Breweries posts H1 profits drop after Q2 reverse
- H1 net profits down 23% to INR1,02bn (US$16.2m)
- Net sales up 4% to INR19.6bn
- Operating profits down 11% to INR1.93bn
- Q2 losses at INR185.7m after INR342m profit last year
United Breweries, part of UB Group, released its Q2 results yesterday
United Breweries has posted a drop in first-half profits as a tough Q2 plunged the Kingfisher brewer into the red for the quarter.
Net profits dropped by 23% to INR1.02bn (US$16.2m) in the six months to the end of September, the brewing arm of UB Group said late yesterday (7 November). Net sales climbed by 4% to INR19.6bn in the same period and operating profits were down by 11% to INR1.93bn
In the second quarter, the brewer posted a INR185.7m loss, down from a INR342m profit in the same quarter last year.
Reports blamed the drop on monsoons in India and unfavourable regulations that saw a 20% Q2 fall in sales in Tamil Nadu.
In its first-quarter results, UB Group's spirits arm, United Spirits (USL), said authorities in Tamil Nadu had made regulations “deliberately skewed to favour brands from select local vendors at the cost of the popular brands of USL".
To read the company's full statement, click here.
Cott Corporation in Soft Drinks (World)
Cott is the world’s largest supplier of private label products in soft drinks. Its primary strength is North America, however it has faced a challenging environment particularly in carbonates as Coca-...read more
India’s largest spirits producer, UB Group’s United Spirits, came under the control of global leader, Diageo, in 2013. The profile analyses the most promising ways forward for United Spirits’ strong d...
Alcoholic Drinks in India industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The...
Wine in India industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile als...
This report comprises of high level market research data on the India beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ana...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future