INDIA: United Breweries posts H1 profits drop after Q2 reverse
- H1 net profits down 23% to INR1,02bn (US$16.2m)
- Net sales up 4% to INR19.6bn
- Operating profits down 11% to INR1.93bn
- Q2 losses at INR185.7m after INR342m profit last year
United Breweries, part of UB Group, released its Q2 results yesterday
United Breweries has posted a drop in first-half profits as a tough Q2 plunged the Kingfisher brewer into the red for the quarter.
Net profits dropped by 23% to INR1.02bn (US$16.2m) in the six months to the end of September, the brewing arm of UB Group said late yesterday (7 November). Net sales climbed by 4% to INR19.6bn in the same period and operating profits were down by 11% to INR1.93bn
In the second quarter, the brewer posted a INR185.7m loss, down from a INR342m profit in the same quarter last year.
Reports blamed the drop on monsoons in India and unfavourable regulations that saw a 20% Q2 fall in sales in Tamil Nadu.
In its first-quarter results, UB Group's spirits arm, United Spirits (USL), said authorities in Tamil Nadu had made regulations “deliberately skewed to favour brands from select local vendors at the cost of the popular brands of USL".
To read the company's full statement, click here.
India’s largest spirits producer, UB Group’s United Spirits, came under the control of global leader, Diageo, in 2013. The profile analyses the most promising ways forward for United Spirits’ strong d...
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global wine market during December 2013....
Beer is considered to be the world's most widely consumed alcoholic beverage. It is also regarded as the third most popular drink, after water and tea. Beer is an alcoholic beverage manufactured by th...
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review