INDIA: United Breweries plans investment - report
United Breweries is planning to build two breweries in India as it continues to prosper on the country's fledgling beer market.
United Breweries is plotting a brewery in Mysore and another in Patna, the company's executive VP for marketing was quoted as telling Hindu Businesss Line yesterday (8 September). The breweries will cost around INR1.5bn (US$32.2m) each, he said.
The move comes as United Breweries seeks to increase its dominance of India's emerging beer market. Last month, the Vijay Mallya-owned group said that its market share surpassed 50% by volume in the first quarter of its fiscal year.
For the three months to the end of June, volume sales rose by 6%, while net sales jumped by 23% to INR9.44bn, said the Kingfisher lager brewer, which is 37.5%-owned by Heineken. During the quarter, the group also began brewing Heineken in India.
In the first part of this five-part briefing, Ben Cooper looks at the use of water in the brewing process, and brewers' attempts to reduce the amount wasted, as part of their sustainability efforts....
Part two of this month's briefing sees Ben Cooper consider the role water plays when it comes to the raw materials for brewers....
In the penultimate part of this month's briefing, Ben Cooper turns his attention to energy use and carbon emissions from the multinational brewers....
The fifth and final part of February's management briefing focuses on the role packaging plays in the brewers' battles to operate more sustainably....
Click play, below, to view the thoughts of Heineken's CFO, Rene Hooft Graafland, on the brewer's FY results, which were released this morning....
United Spirits has denied reports that it has provided a guaranteee to the ailing Kingfisher Airlines, as questions mount over owner Vijay Mallya's options for both businesses....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research