INDIA: United Breweries approves Chennai Breweries deal
United Breweries' board backs Chennai Breweries buy
The board of United Breweries has approved the acquisition of Chennai Breweries via a share exchange deal.
United Breweries said today (11 March) that it will hand Chennai Breweries' shareholders 17 of its shares at INR1 (US$0.02) each for every 30 shares they hold in Chennai. The Chennai shares are valued at INR10 per share.
The deal will help United Breweries, which is part of Vijay Mallya's UB Group, to build on its strong performance in India's fledgling beer market. Last month, the Kingfisher lager brewer reported a 40% jump in third quarter net profits, backed by a 38% increase in net sales.
Chennai Breweries is a subsidiary of Balaji Distilleries, which was acquired by United Breweries' sister firm, United Spirits, late last year. Both Chennai and Balaji are based in India's state of Tamil Nadu, which only allows drinks firms with bottling operations inside its borders to sell their products in the state.
Heineken holds a 37.5% stake in United Breweries, which is India's biggest brewer.
A ruling on Kronenbourg 1664 by the UK's advertising watchdog has the potential to set a precedent for marketeers of home-brewed 'foreign' beers....
United Breweries is planning to build two breweries in India as it continues to prosper on the country's fledgling beer market. ...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research