US: Union attacks on Coca-Cola and CCE continue
The Coca-Cola Co. and Coca-Cola Enterprises have been hit by yet more pressure from unions in the US.
The Teamsters Union, which represents around 14,000 Coca-Cola Co. and CCE employees in the US and Canada, said late last week that it has leafleted sports fans attending the National Collegiate Athletic Association Men's Basketball Tournament games in St. Louis and East Rutherford, New Jersey to urge the NCAA to drop Coca-Cola as a key sponsor. The leafleting follows a similar campaign last month outside the Powerade Drag Racing Series in California.
The union cited concerns about Coca-Cola's alleged "destruction of natural resources in developing countries, its worker and human rights abuses in the US and abroad, and the elimination of good-paying US jobs" at CCE.
The NCAA has designated Coca-Cola as the first official NCAA Corporate Champion. Coca-Cola is a key sponsor of the tournament, and is paying the NCAA $500m in an 11-year beverage marketing and media rights deal reached in 2002, Teamsters noted.
"A company that pollutes, discriminates, destroys good American jobs and may have played a role in the murder of workers is not a company that kids should be looking to as a role model," said Jack Cipriani, director of the Teamsters Brewery and Soft Drink Workers Conference. "NCAA Tournament fans deserve to know the truth about a key sponsor of the games."
Last month, CCE confirmed that it will cut 3,500 jobs in North America. The restructuring is expected to cost CCE about US$300m in restructuring charges over the next two years.
Calories from beverages shipped to schools has decreased due to the beverage industry's progress implementing the National School Beverage Guidelines....
Coca-Cola Icecek, an affiliate of the Coca-Cola Co., is awaiting competition board approval over the acquisition of Turkish tea company Dogadan Gida Urunleri Sanayii ve Pazarlama A.S....
Soft drinks bottler Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) has announced the appointment of Julius Pryor III as vice president of global diversity, with effect from 20 September, 2007....
The Coca-Cola Co. has fallen out with a number of smaller Glaceau Vitaminwater distributors over its plans to put 65% of its sales through its own distribution networks across the US, according to rep...
The Coca-Cola Co. has lined up an addition to its Odwalla juice brand in the US....
The Coca-Cola Co. has stayed silent on reports that it has had a takeover bid for German soft drinks company Bionade rejected....
The Coca-Cola Co. has confirmed that it will cut jobs in its North America unit by the end of the year....
Some citrus-flavoured carbonated drinks contain more caffeine than cola, according to a recent study in the Journal of Food Science....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends