PORTUGAL: Unicer to close brewery
Unicer is consolidating its position in its domestic market by closing one of its three breweries in Portugal.
The company, which is jointly held by Carlsberg and the Viacer Consortium, confirmed today (3 October) that it will cease production at it facility in Loulé in the south of Portugal by the end of the year. The closure will affect 65 employees.
"Unicer is taking this process of restructure as a way to gain continued improvements in productivity, which supports the reinforcement of its competitiveness and reassures its sustained growth," the company said.
The Loulé brewery has an annual capacity of 400,000 hectolitres, representing 7% of Unicer's total beer production.
Unicer's two other breweries in Portugal, in Santarém and Leça do Balio, are better placed to handle the company's growing exports, with transport costs working out more cost-effective, the company said.
No-one was available for further clarification at Carlsberg when contacted by just-drinks today.
Carlsberg holds a 44% stake in Unicer, with Viacer accounting for the remaining 56%.
Strong beers may offer brewers significant growth potential but their perception as a cheap way of consuming alcohol puts them directly in the regulatory sights of governments looking to tackle excess...
Heineken has refused to be drawn on claims that a buyer has come forward for Scottish & Newcastle's stake in India's United Breweries....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Carlsberg's Vietnamese joint venture is poised to take a larger stake than expected in Hanoi Beer Alcohol and Beverage Corporation (Habeco)....
Carlsberg has confirmed plans to introduce a reduced calorie and low carbohydrate version of two of its beer brands across the Danish market next week....
Carlsberg has lined up the sale of Türk Tuborg Bira ve Malt Sanayi in Turkey....
The deadline for the second round of bids for Vin & Sprit (V&S) has been set....
Carlsberg has said it is "very happy" with the conditions set by the Russian competition commission (FAS) regarding its plans to acquire complete control of the country's brewer Baltika....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends