RWANDA: Unibra takeover to double beer production
Unibra, the owner of the Skol beer brand in Africa, has said the full takeover of its Rwandan operations will help double its production and tap into the country's booming economy.
The Belgian group has paid an undisclosed sum for the Rwandan unit's 49% share owned by Brasserie des Mille Collines, Unibra's CEO, Thibault Relecom, told just-drinks today (22 October). The company will now complete a US$15m investment plan in Rwanda that will increase production from 100,000 hectolitres a year to 250,000 hectolitres, Relecom said.
“The economy in Rwanda is pretty amazing,” he said. “Everyone thinks of the genocide in Rwanda but, believe me, now it is another world. It is looking more like Hong Kong.”
Unibra produces two brands in Rwanda, Skol and local beer Gatanu. Relecom said initially more Gatanu will be made but, when the world economy improves, Skol will be the main focus.
The company owns the rights to the Skol brand in Africa and also produces it in Madagascar, with distribution deals in Angola, Democratic Republic of Congo and Republic of Guinea.
Relecom added that his company is impressed with government business policies in Rwanda. “It is a country that is moving forward in the right direction,” he said.
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends