UK: Underberg hands distribution deal to Cellar Trends
Cellar Trends will handle the three brands in the UK from next month
German spirits group Underberg is switching UK distribution of three brands it handles from Halewood International to Cellar Trends.
From 1 May, Asbach, a German brandy, cachaça brand Pitu and strawberry and vodka liquer Xuxu will be handled in the on- and off-trade by Cellar Trends, the distributor said late last week. A Cellar Trends spokesperson confirmed to just-drinks that Halewood was the previous UK supplier of the brands.
Financial details of the deal were not disclosed.
Halewood, however, will continue distribution of Underberg's flagship brand, Underberg, a 47% abv herbal digestif.
Terry Barker, Cellar Trends' marketing director said: “These are quality brands, each with a loyal following. This appointment recognises our experience and proven ability to grow brands in a tough competitive climate.”
Underberg's Asbach Original was launched in the UK in 2011, replacing Asbach Uralt in the country. The German company took full control of Asbach from Remy Cointreau in 2002.
Pitu, prouduced by the Brazilian company of the same name, is one of Brazil's biggest cachaça brands, according to Cellar Trends, and sells around 10m cases a year in the country.
Xuxu, owned by German company Georg Hemmeter GmbH, is a 15% abv liqueur made from vodka and a strawberry mash.
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Stagnant wine growth a concern for Constellation
- Comment - Heineken's move for Pivovarna Lasko
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Chateau Bastor-Lamontagne's So Sauternes
- Bacardi cuts jobs at Global Brands unit
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo targets Millennials with DeLeon ads