US: Underage lawsuit against Coors dropped
Legal action against the US brewer Coors Brewing has been dropped by the mother of a teenager killed while driving drunk.
The lawsuit, according to the lawyer representing Jodie Pisco, was filed to challenge a Nevada law that protects alcohol providers from being sued. Pisco also wanted to draw attention to the problem of underage drinking and how she believed drinks companies targeted under-age drinkers with their adverts.
Speaking to the Reno Gazette-Journal, the lawyer, Ken McKenna, said: "After doing some research, we decided that the Supreme Court is unlikely to be inclined politically to overturn the protection for alcohol distributors."
A Coors spokeswoman, said the company was pleased that McKenna decided to withdraw the lawsuit. "While we all deeply sympathize with the family of Ryan Pisco, we also knew that a case holding others responsible for his death was entirely without merit," she said.
Sectors: Beer & cider
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research