UK: Under 15’s should never be given alcohol - Government
Children aged under 15 should never be given alcohol, the UK's chief medical officer has said today (29 January).
Chief medical officer Sir Liam Donaldson has said that childhood should be an "alcohol-free time" and that alcoholic drinks should not be consumed under the age of 15, "even in small quantities".
Ministers are expected to publish official guidance to parents on alcohol and children later today. It is not expected to be made legally binding.
Research suggests that many children have already been exposed to alcohol at home by the age of seven, and that while the number of young people who regularly drink has fallen to around 21% of 11 to 15-year-olds, those who do consume alcohol do so far more often than in the past.
Gavin Partington, of the Wine & Spirits Trade Association (WSTA), told just-drinks prior to today's announcement: "It will be very helpful for the information to be provided for both parents and young people but I think it shows much more education is needed.
"What is required is a segment in the curriculum on the consumption of alcohol. You could make an argument for it to be introduced well before the age of 15."
The European Spirits Organisation, CEPS, said the industry has already taken a firm stance against underage drinking: "The European spirits industry sharply condemns any misuse of its products, and this especially includes consumption by minors."
Sweden assumed the Presidency of the EU at the beginning of this month. With the country's history of control and high taxation of alcohol, the industry is expecting a tough six months. However, Ben C...
Following this week's news that Kirin Holdings and Suntory are in merger talks, just-drinks has compiled five essential facts on the Japanese beer market....
The Chinese soft drinks sector has been showing consistent growth for a number of years, fuelled by broadening consumer tastes. Ray Rowlands of beverage research company Canadean takes a look at a lar...
As drinks companies look desperately for the elusive 'green shoots' of economic recovery, Spiros Malandrakis of Euromonitor International examines the varying impact the downturn has had across region...
Estonia-based spirits company AS Liviko has increased its sales and market share in the Estonian alcohol market, boosted by successful imports....
Kilchoman Distillery has lined up the launch of its inaugural single malt Scotch whisky for later this year....
California beer and wine distributor Terrell Wines is to begin distributing Argentinean BarbaRoja's Barrel-Aged Red Ale into the San Francisco and Los Angeles markets....
Pernod Ricard has confirmed the appointment of a new head for its operations in Switzerland....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research