UK guide to sugar reduction launched
The UK Government has proposed a tax on sugar in soft drinks
The UK's Food & Drink Federation (FDF) has issued an online guide for small beverage producers on how to reduce sugar levels in their products.
The guide, released today, outlines regulatory frameworks, labelling considerations and advice on replacement ingredients. The FDF said it will aid beverage makers in the UK "at a time when shoppers are increasingly looking to reduce sugars in their diets".
"[Sugar reduction] presents both challenges and opportunities," said FDF director general Ian Wright. "Recipe changes need to pass the consumer acceptance test to be successful, lasting and beneficial to consumer health."
Wright said the guide, created in partnership with Leatherhead Food Research, is targeted at small and medium-sized businesses "without large R&D resources".
Reducing sugar levels in soft drinks has become a focus for UK soft drinks makers after the government announced a tax on sugary soft drinks that could raise the price of a can of Coke by GBP0.08 (US$.10). Last month, the FDF called for the tax to be put on hold in the wake of the Brexit vote.
Concha y Toro UK Ltd in Alcoholic Drinks (United Kingdom)
The company will continue to spearhead the development of Chilean wine in the UK market....read more
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends