UK: UK drinkers consuming less - figures
Alcohol consumption in the UK has dropped for the second consecutive year, according to industry figures.
Speaking to just-drinks today (12 October), a spokesperson for the British Beer and Pub Association (BBPA) said that levels of alcohol consumption over the last year have fallen and currently stand at their lowest in the past five years.
The spokesperson said: "There have been changes to pub licensing laws, meaning there's less pressure for people to drink against the clock. Also, responsible drinking messages are beginning to take effect. It has been a two-year trend, both in the on-trade and the off-trade."
The BBPA also indicated there have been significant changes in what we drink over the past 25 years. The amount of alcohol consumed in the UK is now 8.9 litres per person per year, compared with 9.4 litres in 2004. In 1980, 60% of total consumption was beer, 24% was spirits and 14% wine. Now, beer accounts for 43% of consumption, spirits 20% with wine increasing to 29%.
"The fall of 3.3% in 2006 is the largest in 15 years and comes on top of a 2% drop in 2005," the spokesperson added. "In total, consumption has fallen by 5.3% over the past two years."
BBPA director of communications Mark Hastings added: "Although it is too early to say if this is a long-term trend, these are certainly very interesting figures, in view of the intense public debate in recent months about Britain's drinking habits. While a small minority continue to use alcohol in an irresponsible way, it's clear that the change in the nation's licensing laws hasn't unleashed an apocalyptic 'free for all' in alcohol consumption."
10 things you should know about... Vin & Sprit...
Strong beers may offer brewers significant growth potential but their perception as a cheap way of consuming alcohol puts them directly in the regulatory sights of governments looking to tackle excess...
Pernod Ricard has lined up a responsible drinking campaign in the UK....
Coors Brewers has announced plans to cease displaying its Carling logo on children's replica shirts of two major football clubs in the UK....
The European Commission's year-long court case against Sweden over wine and beer taxes collapsed today (8 April), when the European Court of Justice ruled that Swedish wine taxes did not have to be cu...
The Pink Spirits Co. has hired a manager for the south eastern region of the US to meet its "growing demand and expanding distribution"....
Appletiser has introduced a carbonated fruit juice addition to its portfolio in the UK....
Carlsberg's Vietnamese joint venture is poised to take a larger stake than expected in Hanoi Beer Alcohol and Beverage Corporation (Habeco)....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Is Coca-Cola Co “back on track” after brighter Q1?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets