UK: UK bottled water sales post slight lift in 2011 - research
Bottled water-makers have benefited from consumers looking for a healthier lifestyle
UK bottled water sales grew by 2.1% last year, an annual survey has said.
Retail sizes under ten litres, which accounted for 87% of total sales, increased by 3% in 2011 compared to 2010, according to Zenith International’s 2012 UK Bottled Water market report, released this week. The bottled water cooler market declined by 3.1%, however, as customers turned to mains-supply water filters, the report said.
“After 20 years of dramatic growth, bottled water was held back from 2006 by a combination of a switch in types of water coolers, poor summers, the economic downturn and environmental concerns”, said Zenith chairman Richard Hall. “Now, bottled water is back on the move again, driven by its key benefits of healthy hydration, on-the-go convenience, competitive pricing and environmental measures.”
Natural Hydration Council general manager Kinvara Carey highlighted strong growth in the impulse channel as consumers sought out easy ways to drink water while on the go.
The report also found that the top five brands by volume were Evian, Highland Spring, Buxton, Volvic and Nestlé Pure Life.
Still water grabbed an 86% share of the market, according to the report.
Natural mineral water took a 62% share and spring water a 30% share.
Domestically produced water accounted for 78%, while the most popular retail pack size was 50cl.
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Molson Coors' Rekorderlig Cider Cocktails - NPD
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends