EU: UK avoids legal row over booze cruises
The European Commission yesterday (June 28) dropped long-running legal action against the UK after the Government abandoned a get-tough policy against 'booze cruise' travellers importing cheap alcohol from France.
In the past, not only had UK customs demanded proof that travellers' cargo was for personal use only but in its absence, confiscated their alcohol and sometimes their vehicles. The Commission subsequently took legal action, alleging infringements of EU rights to move excised goods around the EU.
In response, the UK reversed the burden of proof onto their customs teams and stopped systematic confiscations. EU taxation Commissioner László Kovács welcomed the UK's decision and the "balance…between fighting tax evasion and the principles of the EU internal market".
Troubles are mounting for the bankrupt Pittsburgh Brewing Co., with a financing plan facing opposition from a number of creditors....
The Charmer Sunbelt Group is running a public service announcement aimed at the Hispanic community in the north-east of the US....
Anheuser-Busch has rolled out a wheat- and gluten-free beer in the US....
European Union officials are in New Delhi today (20 December) in an attempt to broker a deal with the Indian government over the country's tariff regime....
Kirin Brewery Co. is aiming to boost operating profit by at least 28% in the next three years by focusing on growth in its overseas operations, non-beer alcohol and soft drink businesses....
South African drinks group Distell has secured a key wine deal with Scandinavian distributor Altia Corporation....
Pernod Ricard has signalled its commitment to promoting responsible drinking with plans to put warnings to pregnant women on all its wine and spirit brands throughout the EU....
California's Board of Equalization (BOE) has voted to conduct a review of how alcopops are classified and taxed in the state following concerns over underage drinking from high school seniors....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- The future for drinks industry's waste products
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends