RUSSIA: UDV says Moscow Smirnoff ruling "defies common sense"
UDV, owner of Smirnoff vodka, has suffered its second setback in as many weeks in its battle for the vodka trademark in the Russian market. The Moscow City Court, yesterday, ruled not to recognize the Smirnoff trademark as 'well-known' in the Russian Federation. "Yesterday's decision defies common sense," said Peter Necarsulmer, an adviser to GuinnessUDV. "The Court's finding that the world's best selling vodka brand is not 'well-known' to Russian consumers is an immediate and unpleasant reminder of the truth of Russian President Putin's recent comments about the need to reform the Russian judicial system," Necarsulmer added.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research